How to install QuickBooks for Windows on a Mac

At the moment I am in a transition process with computers, including the one I use to work. Experience has taught me that when I need to change computers, it is important to be organized so that the transition is as manageable as possible.

http://marketoffer.info/quickbooks-auto-data-recovery-support/
The most important thing to consider, besides data, is the transfer to the new computer of the programs and applications that one uses. I have licenses for all the programs that I regularly use in my work, but licenses are only for a PC.

I am currently familiarizing myself with the new family-use Mac and am seriously considering changing to a Mac for my work.

There is a program called Parallel Desktops 9 for Mac that allows to operate programs with a PC license on Mac, so I decided to do the test on the new familiar computer.

Until now I used QuickBooks for PC and I had already thought about switching to the online version. My concern is that I do not want to do it now, in September, since we are in the middle of the fiscal year and the transition from QuickBooks for PC to QuickBooks online is not easy. I prefer to make the change at the beginning of the fiscal year.

My experiment was to install Parallel Desktop 9 for Mac (the trial version), and then install my PC version of QuickBooks on the Mac, under the Parallel Desktop. It seems like a simple process, do not you think? Well, it was not. I will describe the process, as it happened.

STEP # 1: Install Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac, to run QuickBooks

I installed the Parallels test program on MacWireless_1 |

I created an image file for the Windows installation disk (Use a version of Roxi CD creator) that I had installed on my PC.
Copy the image file to a USB drive to be able to transfer to the Mac, since it does not have a CD / DVD drive.
The process of installing Parallels on the Mac allows you to drag and drop the image file from the USB drive to the installation program.
Once this step is completed, it is necessary to enter the number of a valid Microsoft Windows license.
Ready, you can work on Windows on a Mac!

Step # 2: Installing QuickBooks in Parallels for Mac

I had the QuickBooks installation CD for my PC, but as I mentioned before, my family Mac does not have a device for CDs.

When researching the QuickBooks website, I realized that I could download the same version that I already had direct from the web. And so I did in the Windows environment on the Mac.

Step # 3: Test QuickBooks on my PC

However, there was a problem. The version of QuickBooks that I downloaded from the Internet on the Mac had several updates that I did not have on my PC, and it gave me an error each time I tried to open the two QuickBooks on the different computers.

As you can imagine, I was not very happy with the problems you were having.

My first thought was to update the version of QuickBooks that I had on the PC. It was the simplest thing and I should have done it before. But the update did not work well and every time an error appeared, I clicked on the "ignore" button. When I finished the update, to my surprise, a message appeared informing me that now my version of QuickBooks was no longer compatible with Windows!

At that time I decided not to use QuickBooks on the PC anymore.



Step # 4: Uninstall QuickBooks from the Mac and reinstall with a CD

 I uninstalled the version of QuickBooks that was already installed on the Mac and reinstalled it using the original CD, instead of downloading the Internet program. In order to continue with the installation, I needed to access the CD / DVD drive of my PC with the Mac. Opening the My computer file on the PC, I shared it with on the network.


Now the shared file on the network could be accessed by the unit, thus finishing the installation of QuickBooks for the second time.

From this moment I began to see light in this process, although I have to confess that I had my doubts before opening the file of my company in QuickBooks. It finally opened and it worked!



Step # 5: Get QuickBooks back to work on my PC!

At this time, everything worked perfectly on the Mac but not on the PC, as it had an incompatible version of QuickBooks. After doing a Google search, I decided to consider 2 options:

I can try to repair the installation, or
Delete the QuickBooks file and reinstall it again from the original CD.
I decided to start by trying to repair what was installed, which did not work. I still had the second option to delete and reinstall the program.

It did not work either. I continually got errors of incompatibility. Finally I turned off and rebooted the computer, and ran the installation from the file on the network that contained the CD and that's how I got it to work.

I am happy to report that you can now use the QuickBooks from both computers.

Comments